On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:28:35 -0700, Christopher D. Green wrote:
>I thought the issue wasn't that it was harmful, but that it was (to a
>first approximation) impossible. What is harmful is people behaving as
>though they can multitask.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious but do want to make a few points:

(1) Pinker's Op-Ed piece in the NY Times is just an opinion
piece and though he may be able to cite experiments in support
of his assertions, he's under no obligation to do so here.  Since
it's just his opinion, he can make statements that others may
well disagree with -- we're not talking data or a statustucak results
here.

(2) Regarding "multitasking", a key point in the article is Pinker's use
of the term "genuine multitasking" which seems to serve as the basis
for his argument against multitasking.  Now, everyday experience
tells us that most people can chew gum and walk at the same time,
consequently, there are number of situations where everyone
engages in some degree in multitasking or, to used an old phrase,
"divided attention tasks".  It should be clear that activities that
have become automatic processes which require little conscious
intervention can be executed with minimal error and one may be
able to do two or more either in parallel or with quickly alternating
attention.  Is this "genuine multitasking"?  I don't know because
I don't know what Pinker means by "genuine multitasking".
Would Pinker conisder the stage magician who juggles bowling
balls while eating an apple as engaging in "genuine multitasking"?
Who knows?  Who cares?

(3) Perhaps the real issue is that people are over confident in the
assessment of their abilities (e.g., believing that they can do more
things in a fixed period time than they actually can).  It is quite
possible that someone may be able to engage in "genuine multitasking"
and be able to accurately assess that but I think that many people
probably can't accurate assess the degree to which they can
adequately multitask (e.g., driving a car while drinking coffee
and shaving one's face with an electric shaver while holding a
conversation on a cell phone).  This isn't a problem of multitasking
but the old problem of overconfidence in one's judgments.

(4) Pinker's articles goes way beyond multitasking and even takes
on Edward Tufte's "powerpoint is evil" position.  If one wants to take
Pinker's opinion seriously, they can but let's not confuse this with
either a scholarly review or theoretical statement.  And remember
the old saying about opinions, that is, it's like a particular body
structure, everyone has one, and they all stink except one's own.

don allen wrote:
> Those interested in the issue of whether "multitasking"
> is harmful may want to read Steven Pinker's article in the
> New York Times.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/opinion/11Pinker.html?hp
>
> or: http://tinyurl.com/38up85l
>
> -Don.