Late to the conversation but Drupal is an ideal solution.

There is a Drupal distribution called Open Atrium that is an internet.

http://openatrium.com/

=David Wheeler, Ph.D.
Robert Morris University
Phone: 2135-DrPsyc

On 4/16/10 12:36 PM, Peterson, Douglas (USD) wrote:

I’m developing a course that will require extensive collaboration among
students both in an out of class. What I would really like is something
akin to an intranet site where students can share documents, resources,
a calendar, etc. The groups will also need to keep a blog (or something
like it) over the course of the project (8-12 weeks). I’ve thought about
Wikis, Google Groups, Google docs but not very extensively. I’d like to
be able to view the shared space to evaluate individual contributions to
the group as well as track the group progress.

I’m seeking suggestions for sites or software as well as ideas for
tracking group progress over a longer period of time. The class overall
will have 100+ assigned to 10 groups that will need to be tracked (there
will be a second faculty member and a TA so the load is not all on me).

Doug
--
Doug Peterson, PhD
Director, University Honors