1) John Stossel is a toad, to a first approximation.

2) Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees:
    (a) freedom of conscience and religion;
    (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including
freedom of the press and other media of communication;
    (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    (d) freedom of association.

3) There has been some controversy of late over the quasi-judicial human
rights commissions of various provinces because a few people who are
keen to publicly draw conclusions about various groups based on their
race, religion, etc. have been dragged through an expensive and
embarrassing legal process. Such people like to loudly proclaim that
their freedom of expression has been violated. Almost all have, in the
end, been exonerated, however. It seems likely that the powers of these
commissions will be scaled back somewhat in future.

4) Academic freedom is a fundamental aspect of Canadian Universities,
and has not been challenged to the degree that it has been in some
recent high profile US cases, where some state legislators seem to think
that because public money pays for some schools the legislature should
dictate what the curriculum should be, and who should and should not be
allowed to speak. (In all fairness, there was a protest over Ann Coulter
speaking at a Canadian school earlier this year. Coulter pulled out
claiming "security concerns," and then claimed she had been censored.
Most everyone else thinks she was just looking to pump up her flagging
"career" with some publicity, which she got, for about two days.)

5) Why is a man who regularly claims to be the only one on TIPS who is
sensitive to ethnic bias also the only one who regularly casts
aspersions on Canada and Canadians? The inconsistency is striking.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

==========================

michael sylvester wrote:

> A program titled What's great about America by John Stossel npted tha
> Canada does not have a First amendment and freedom of speech
> can be ambiguous in Canada.It was noted that one may express his or
> her opinion but if the speech is detrimental to the future of career
> of another person then one can be sued.My impression was that it
> appears that there may be freedom of speech,but not necessarily
> freedom after speech.I wonder if academic freedom can be compared and
> contrasted between the two countries.Btw,does the Chronicle of Higher
> Education cover issues in Canada apart from faculty vacant positions?
>
> Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
> Daytona Beach,Florida
>
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: chri...@yorku.ca
> <mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13132.a868d710aa4ef67a68807ce4fe8bd0da&n=T&l=tips&o=3434
>
> <http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13132.a868d710aa4ef67a68807ce4fe8bd0da&n=T&l=tips&o=3434>
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-3434-13132.a868d710aa4ef67a68807ce4fe8bd...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
> <mailto:leave-3434-13132.a868d710aa4ef67a68807ce4fe8bd...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=3435