Bob-
Out campus has a B&N bookstore so we will have rentals this year. We are given
the choice to have our texts available or not within the program. I tend to
allow the students to decide though I send out notes to my classes with my
thoughts on the idea. One of those thoughts is that I don't support any
particular method of text acquisition. My own method was to buy them and hold
them. Much the same as you report, I still have my intro book from 1972! My
message is primarily that they buy their own copy (or somehow have a physical
copy!) and that they use it in the recommended manner (taking notes, reading
actively, asking questions, actively engaging the text. . . ). But given that
the average student today seems to buy the text and sell it back at the end of
the term I don't really see that the rental idea is such a problem. A few
bookstores will even give more "buy back" credit or cash if the book is
pristine! From that standpoint, I'd rather them rent since it doesn't matter if
they mark it up.
Tim
Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker