Well, I suppose it's similar to requiring a doctor's note to miss an
exam...that is, we have the right to ask for that condition to be met
since the result of not taking the medication is intolerable for the
classroom experience of everyone else that's paying to be there.

Given that instructors can be let go because of budget constraints I
don't think it's unreasonable to curtail expenses for people who need
more help. I remember seeing one student at a large university with 4
school-paid attendants present to ensure the student could be in the
class. I think this kind of "accommodation" is too much for physical
and/or mental issues, and of course where do you draw the line?

Bob Wildblood said:
"I'm also surprised that some people believe that psychological
disabilities should be look at any differently than physical
difficulties."

Actually, I'm surprised that people think they shouldn't be.
I think the belief that they shouldn't be is merely a result of the
politically correct movement. Mental illness IS fundamentally
different than physical illness. (Physical illness being in the body
as I assume Bob means here and what the public would mean (being in a
wheelchair, having a limp, etc). Not the "informed" person's....a
brain tumor pressing on the brain causing the person to fly into a
murderous rage...yada yada yada).

Quite simply, it's impossible that a physical disability can be the
cause of any form of crime for example (murder, rape, robbery, etc.),
but a mental disability very easily could be.

The public quite rightly considers the two fundamentally different.

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=4195
or send a blank email to
leave-4195-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu