Hi Carol,
I had an instructor for a course in graduate school who stood up and lectured
every day even though there were only 4 of us. It was awful. Your situation
calls for some creativity but what an opportunity! Especially if your course
isn't a prereq for other courses.
Here are some ideas:
Consider doing a brief benchmark lecture once a week only on the concepts from
the chapter that you have identified as being particularly subject to confusion
or misconception, then build the rest of the class time around provocative
discussion questions, either with all 4 students or putting them in dyads to
generate answers followed by a whole group discussion.
Consider giving the students the opportunity/responsibility to teach (not "do
presentations") several of the topics, as individuals or in dyads. (I do this
in my Bio Psych course and can say more about it if you want.)
Ditch the textbook, identify a small set of journal articles or case studies,
require that they come to class prepared to summarize and discuss them, and
after the first session of discussing each article identify the "learning
issues" that come out of it - things that they don't fully understand. Divide
up the learning issues among them and have them report back on what they have
found at the next class. (This is sort of a PBL "problem based learning" model
as used at some medical schools such as Rush).
Definitely do the dissection lab! But with some sensitivity - I would require
that they watch and be able to identify structures but wouldn't require that
they actually wield the scalpel. I've done it with a sheep brain but hey if you
can afford a human brain go for it!
Good luck!
Nathalie Cote
Belmont Abbey College