On 23 Aug 2010 at 17:26, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> Psychology was also a victim of politicization under the Nazis.

Which brings to mind one of its more famous victims, Sigmund
Freud, and the supremely sly and ironic comment he is claimed
to have added when asked to sign a document attesting to good
treatment by the Gestapo:

"I can most highly recommend the Gestapo to everyone".

Peter Gay (Freud: A Life for Our Time, 1998) says, without
attribution, that Freud wrote it. The Library of Congress (1998)
exhibition "Sigmund Freud: Conflict & Culture" more cautiously
notes "is said to have sarcastically asked if he could add" [the
comment].

Presumably, no document with this comment has surfaced. I
wouldn't put it past the old man, though.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University