Awesome! I love seeing someone be skeptical of those studies. I'd seen a PBS
show about those studies a few weeks ago and thought that it looked
insufficiently controlled for them to make the claims they were making. But, I
wasn't willing to be dismissive because often when they show how psychological
studies are done some of the controls are not indicated clearly, so I didn't
want to simply dismiss them. Your having taken your dog to the study gives an
insiders view of how that lab operates.

But, I think you may be too hard on the difficulty of psychologists to isolate
dog behavior in the lab. They would do well to get some people who really know
dogs and are aware that dogs are social hierarchy pack animals. I think that
the studies could be properly designed and executed, and finding good evidence
for theory of mind in dogs seems likely to me. Having a theory of mind seems
pretty valuable for that particularly kind of mammal. Cooperative behavior in
the pack might be the key to the value of a theory of mind. I can only
effectively cooperate with you if I can imagine what your perspective and
opportunities in the situation is. Domesticated dogs are sensitive to humans
meaning that the experiments need to have timing cues for everyone so that the
dog is not getting signals from anyone. It could be done, IMO.

Paul C. Bernhardt
Department of Psychology
Frostburg State University
Frostburg, Maryland