The website "The Daily Beast" has done some "research" using
the campus security and crime data for 2006-2008 for colleges
in the U.S. and have constructed lists of the 50 safest colleges
and the 50 most dangerous colleges as well as specialized lists
such as CRIME IN THE IVY LEAGUE!  U.S. colleges are
required to collect and report criminal incidents (e.g., robberies,
rapes, etc.) every year and I suspect that most Tipsters have
seen the annual report for their schools though I admit that I
am deeply skeptical of the accuracy of the numbers reported.
The data used are incidents reported to campus police or the
local police and not whether a conviction was obtained for the
crime.  It might be a worthwhile exercise to discuss with
students how these results might be inaccurate, whether they
feel comfortable reporting an incident to the college, and so
on.  Anyway, the lists, in the form of an annoying slideshow
format, can be found here -- follow the links:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-09-14/50-safest-colleges/full/

Some notable results:
Most Dangerous College in the U.S.:  Tufts University (Boston)
(Robert Sternberg must be so happy to have moved here)

Most Dangerous College in NYC:  Columbia
(Given that CUNY's City College is about 20 blocks north of the
Columbia campus in what some might argue is a rougher neighborhood
Columbia's special status as the only college in NYC to be designated
as dangerous may indicates either a more comfortable atmosphere to
report crime or a really wimpy student body -- draw your own conclusion).

Safest College in the U.S.: Cardinal Stritch University (Milwaukee, WI)
(If one had asked what kind of college would be the safest, my first guess
would not have been a Catholic university but that's only 12 years of Catholic
grade and high school experience speaking).

Believe it or not,  5 of the safest colleges are in NYC. According to
rank, they are:
#3 Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus (Brooklyn?? Realy?!?)
#8 Fashion Institute of Technology (located in the Chelsea area, Manhattan)
#12 Touro College (unclear which location is involved)
#14 Pace University (located across the street from City Hall in Manhattan)
#30 CUNY's Hunter College (there are multiple locations in Manhattan
but all are along the "East Side" with the main campus in the richest
area of Manhattan)

Again, results are only as good at the data that is used and I have some
doubts about the reliability, validity, and accuracy of the crime reports
used but, what the hell, it's still fun to BS about this this stuff. ;-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=4877
or send a blank email to
leave-4877-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu