A postscript to my previous posting. TIPSters who click the link to
Amazon http://tinyurl.com/25nrvc will find a misleading "Product
Description" of my book *Seductive Mirage*. It ends:

"… And if even that is now more frequently questioned, we are at least
left with the consolation that Freud, however misguided, was a man of
unsported [read "unspotted"] integrity, who sincerely strove to uncover
the truth and accurately reported what his clients told him."

The Product Description is the first paragraph of the publisher's
blurb. The rest of the blurb goes on to challenge the above
"consolation" view:

"Only a few writers [at that time, 1993] have heretofore intimated the
possibility that's Freud's accounts of his cases are systematically and
self-servingly untruthful, but now Allen Esterson picks up the trail,
and demonstrates, by acute detective work, that Freud's word cannot be
relied upon… […]

I shall modestly  :-)  add another quote from the back page of the
paperback edition, in a comment by Richard Stevens, UK Open University
Department of Psychology:

"... I have never before seen so explicitly demonstrated the
insubstantial basis on which Freud's specific theories were grounded..."

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com