I think universities have largely undermined the humanities (and social
sciences) by the growth of professional schools that become isolated academic
units, usurping content from other departments.  How many philosophy
departments would be strengthened by business students having to take an ethics
course from philosophy rather than internally (where they probably learn that
ethics is "good business" rather than why ethical behavior might be a good in
itself)?  Or a history course taught by an historian?  Or psychology courses
taught by psychology departments?

  I would not be surprised if basic sciences do not eventually (or already)
feel a similar pinch from the emergence of applied science departments.
Chemical engineering becomes valued, but not chemistry ...

  Take care
  Jim

   As a mobile disc jockey,I learnt that it is always best to play what people
want  to hear.I used to think that it would be nice to turn them on to jazz but
it did not work.They wanted to hear David Allan Coe,Skynyrd,and AC/DC. The
humanities and social sciences could possibly be history.Let me suggest that
you read Thomas Kuhn
  "The structure of scientific revolutions" where he talks about the necessity
to adapt to the changing zeitgeist.
   The times they are a changing.
  Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
  Daytona Beach,Florida