Mike Palij wrote, quoting me first:
>On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:50:01 -0700, Allen Esterson wrote:
>>On 26 October Michael Sylvester wrote:
>>I saw a program on Jane Goodall where she saw chimps use
>>sticks to fetch ants from an ant hill. She was fascinated by their
>>tool utilization and alerted the scientific community who initially
>>remained skeptical.

>I'm sure there's probably a psychoanalytic explanation for
>people's fixation on chimpanzees eating ants but the fact
>of the matter is that Goddall observed the chimpanzees eating
>TERMITES.
>Don't take my word for it, consider the "Jane Goodall Institute of
>Canada" as a source, eh?

Yep, I got it wrong. But given my interest in Jane Goodall's work,
Mike, you might have realised I didn't need a reference to appreciate
that fact. It was just a slip, no doubt arising from the fact that I
was responding directly to (and quoting from) Michael Sylvester's post
in which he referred to ants.

So no psychoanalytic explanation (which I'm sure you mentioned
jokingly), not even for a slip for want of attention. :-)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Re:[tips] Who's on first?
Mike Palij
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 04:42:51 -0700
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:50:01 -0700, Allen Esterson wrote:
>On 26 October Michael Sylvester wrote:
>>I saw a program on Jane Goodall where she saw chimps use
>>sticks to fetch ants from an ant hill. She was fascinated by their
>>tool utilization and alerted the scientific community who initially
>>remained skeptical.
>
>I've been an avid follower of Jane Goodall's work since I read
>*In the Shadow of Man* in 1971, and I don't recall that the scientific
>community as a whole initially remained sceptical of her observations
>about the use of small branches shorn of their leaves to entice ants
>out of nests so they could eat them. Nor do I recall anything like
this
>being said in the recent BBC biographical documentary on Goodall
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v9j22

I'm sure there's probably a psychoanalytic explanation for people's
fixation on chimpanzees eating ants but the fact of the matter is that
Goddall observed the chimpanzees eating TERMITES.  Don't
take my word for it, consider the "Jane Goodall Institute of Canada"
as a source, eh?
http://www.janegoodall.ca/about-chimp-behaviour-tool-use.php

-----------------------------------
Re:[tips] Who's on first?
Jim Clark
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 05:33:08 -0700
Hi

Before Mike leads us off into a pseudo-scientific Freudian explanation,
how
about the more mundane hypothesis that most people in the west probably
associate termites with home structures, rather than mounds of dirt,
with which
we normally associate ants?  Actually it might be a fun exercise to
present
such scenarios to students when talking about Freud, to see what sort
of
explanations they can generate.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
------------------------------
Re:[tips] Who's on first?
Pollak, Edward
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:31:50 -0700
1) Chimps are apes. They are NOT monkeys
2) They were eating termites (more closely related to cockroaches than
to ants)
3) The young female Japanese macaque who invented potato washing also
invented
a technique for separating wheat from sand. She was something of a
monkey
genius.
4) The NOVA program, "Ape Genius," opens with a clip of a population of
chimpanzees  who have developed the tradition of playing in small pools
of
water.

On a related note, there are recent documented reports of bonobos using
spears
to catch and kill bush babies. They make the spears and use them to
kill bush
babies hiding in hollow trees.

And as long as we're talking about animal behavior and unusual diets,
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk. If this hot link
doesn't work, try copy/pasting bit into your browser.

Ed

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6040
or send a blank email to
leave-6040-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu