I'm pleased to see such enthusiasm for caganerology, even if a
tad belated.

And I'd like to correct a serious omission in my toilet talk post. In
the previous post where I first listed the caganer, I referenced a
BMJ report on toilet training.  An alert TIPster wrote me to note
that that this journal name is particularly appropriate for such a
topic. Yes indeed.

And then  Mike Palij wrote:

> Second, for those of you who are like me and are unfamiliar with
> the term "caganer", there is a Wikipedia entry on it with
> "amusing" pictures of examples.  See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

I'm not gonna miss this one. The Wikipedia essay which Mike
refers us to has this as one explanation for the psychological
significance of the caganer

"The Caganer, by creating feces, is fertilizing the Earth.
However, this is probably an a posteriori explanation"

You bet it is!

Mike then accuses me of cultural appropriation.

> Fourth, what the hell is Canadian doing using a Catalan cultural
> concept?  Bucking for the "new cultural dude" on Tips? ;-)

In reply, I note that while the Caganer is unquestionably of
Catalan heritage, its charm can be enjoyed by all, its use in
American culture (no, not an oxymoron) included. See, for
example:

http://www.caganer.com/caganer-roger-federer-p-478.html
(scan down and ignore the tennis players)

Bobble-headed political figurines, eat your heart out.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University