On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:37:17 -0800, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>Another prof has been fired at the University of Central Florida. It
>happened in the Health Sciences  division where the prof refused
>to adopt a text for her course- CULTURALLY SENSITIVE
>HEALTH CARE.The prof objected to the negative stereotypes
>of blacks and other minorities in the text.She is appealing her firing.
>Gee,I was not aware that one could  be fired for that. For many
>years I refused to use the over-rated Psych texts by Myers,
>but I was never reprimanded.

Dear Michael,

Allow me to make a few points:

(1)  It is not that anyone doubts the accuracy or veracity of what
you say but presumably you obtained the above information from
some source. It would be nice if you provided a link to the source(s),
such as this Orlando-Sentinel story:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-11-16/news/os-teacher-sues-ucf-racism-text-20101116_1_textbook-lawsuit-lists-grant-heston

or from the Knight News website:
http://knightnews.com/2010/11/ucf-professor-fired-because-of-offensive-book-according-to-lawsuit/

Here is a link to the offending passages in the textbook in question:
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-11/57694250.pdf

(2) The name of the textbook is "Guide to Culturally Competent
Health Care" as identified in the Orlando-Sentinel story.

(3) There seems to be some confusion over the use of the term
"fired".  As the Orlando-Sentinel story points out, Prof. Lugo
was on a tenure-track line and her contract was not renewed.
Is this being fired?  I believe the more neutral phrase in common
usage is "seperated from service" which seems to imply that no
one is to blame for the termination.  It doesn't appear to be the
case that Prof. Lugo refused to use the book, her chair heard
about it, and fired her on the spot (it is quite unlikely that the chair
or dean or whomever could do so without evidence, say, of the
professor having commited a felony or other major legal and/or
ethical infraction).  I am sure that college's lawyer's have their
own story to tell.

(4) As for the text in question, some passages are provided in
the Orlando-Sentinel article which I reproduce below without
comment:

|•In the third chapter, titled "People of African American Heritage,"
|authors Larry D. Purnell and Betty J. Paulanka explain that, "Because
|significant numbers of African Americans are poor and live in
|inner-cities, they tend to concentrate their efforts on day-to-day-survival."
|
|•The text says that in the black community "being overweight is
|seen as positive," asserting that, "It is important to have meat on
|one's bones to be able to afford weight loss during times of sickness."
|
|•The chapter states that African-Americans tend to be loud,
|"high-keyed, animated, confrontational and interpersonal." The
|text includes "voodoo doctors" among a list of "folk" healthcare
|practitioners common to African-American culture.

(5)  The problem, I infer, is that the text might have been required
as part of the nursing curriculum in which it was used and individual
instructors may not have any choice in the matter.  A similar situation
in psychology might be if the decision to use a textbook is made by
a departmental committee and the instructor has little say in the matter --
not using the recommended text might be violation of the contract
with the instructor and the powers that be may decide to "seperate
from service" the individual.

So, in closing, please provide link(s) to news sources so that a person
can make an independent verification of the claims.

Hugs and kisses.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6562
or send a blank email to
leave-6562-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu