In browsing all the early posts about this question, we see a lot of fake
santas...and real Scrooges....I mean pretend and wanna-be scientists, and
cynics that abound in the field.  Many have the view (mythological in my
opinion) that for santa to be real...I mean for Psych science to exist, there
must be some kind of absolute Truth or fundamentally Real answers provided, and
they become easily disillusioned when knowledge provided is so tentative,
probabilistic, and conditional.  Some have always, and with cynicism, looked at
the subject matter of the field itself and felt there can be no way to make
that resemble our idea of the real santa...ah, I mean science. It hardly seems
that such a snark, er, I mean creature could reside there eh?  Others might
point out that it is not the field or subject matter itself that determines
whether santa exists or a field is scientific but rather the kind of work and
investigative advance that have been achieved. Yes, no one said this would be
easy and some work areas remain poorly tilled with others lie quite fallow.
Still others hold that santa is an ideal and an idea that lives in us as we
toil the field.  They hold it is our adherence to santa's values/scientific
ideals and methodological canons that really constitute the meaning we strive
for in defining ourselves.  In hauling out or castigating our favorite
(mis)conceptions of santa we should remember that much good work needs to be
done and people need to believe....and by their fruits shall you know... who
might be real purveyers of santa's spirit.  Of course some have pointed out
that if an official Educational Institution backed by U.S. Or Canadian
governments receive and officially recognize our santa er,  field,  as among
those deserving of santa credit then surely we must be the real thing!!?
Surely we can still believe, hope, and recognize the good work that's been done
and that still remains. The world sorely needs a better
self-understanding.....and while the hope of a science of ourselves can be
threatening to dogma everywhere, it remains a bright star portending better
things for many of us....a candle in the darkness as Sagan noted?

Ok, I should never respond to Tips posts near Xmas, especially without my
coffee on these cold Michigan mornings.....I will go back to my lurking and
dancing sugarplums smiles at this thread.   Gary

 Saginaw Valley State University
GPeterson
Gary's iPad
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6985