The conceptualization of the null hypothesis is one of those ideas that has one
foot in philosophy and the other in psychological science.I can remember when I
first came across it in undergrad and the prof told me that it was "given" as
the starting point for experimentation and research and that all research have
their foundation in trying
to "disprove" the null hypothesis-something about an assumption
that there will be no comparative result differences between groups.I almost
had a heart attack when he said that the null hypothesis is never proven,but we
"fail to reject"it.I thought that psychology got out
of the  philosophy business  with Descartes.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

Michael "omnicentric" Sy
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7060