Hi again, all.  I obviously need more caffeine this morning...should be
"walking corpse syndrome," not "walking course syndrome," although the latter
may better capture the state of my classes in the last week of the semester.

..Scott

From: Lilienfeld, Scott O [slil...@emory.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 8:36 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Cotard's Syndrome

Michael - In my many years of clinical training, I believe that I saw one
patient with a clear-cut case of Cotard's syndrome...it is a delusion of being
dead ("walking course syndrome"), or in other cases of not existing, decaying,
rotting, etc. (the patient I saw was utterly convinced that he was dead).  It's
not a disorder by itself, but rather is a symptom of several psychotic
disorders, such as schizophrenia and major depression with psychotic features,
as well as neurological disorders.  A French neurologist, Jules Cotard, coined
the term in the late 1800s, and used it mostly in conjunction with severe,
agitated depression.  See:

Berrios, G.E., & Luque, R. (1995). Cotard's delusion or syndrome?.
Comprehensive Psychiatry, 362, 218-222.

...Scott