From: Mike Palij [m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 4:41 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Mike Palij
Subject: [tips] The Mother Of All Word Frequency Databases

Google, which has been digitalizing the book collections of the world,
has created a database that allows one to examine the frequency with
which words appear as well as their frequency overtime.  There is a
NY Times article on this (which misidentifies Steven Pinker as a
"linguist"; people in the humanities seem perplexed about whether
such a database would be of any use to them); see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/books/17words.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a26&pagewanted=all

There is an article in Science by the people who worked on the
database that can be viewed here:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2010/12/15/science.1199644

The Google database can be accessed here:
http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/

And data from the database can be downloaded; instructions
on how to do this can be found here:
http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/datasets

You are currently subscribed to tips as: tay...@sandiego.edu.
To unsubscribe click here: