Charleston, South Carolina, Hello!  How better to remember the
150th anniversary of South Carolina's secession from the U.S.
then to hold a "Secession Ball"!  Here's a USA Today news story
on the joyful activities:
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/12/charlestons-succession-ball-a-contentious-start-to-civil-wars-150th-anniversary/135669/1

Here's a quote from the article on what is being celebrated:

|"War and death is never something to celebrate. But we do
|celebrate the courage and the integrity of 170 men who signed
|their signatures to the Article of Secession – the courage of
|men to do what they think is right."

To do what they think is right....

Here's the website of the organizers of the celebration:
http://www.scsecessiongala.org/index.html

There is a schedule of events on the website and it doesn't look
like they're going to show D.W. Griffith's masterpiece "The Birth
of a Nation", a film based on the novel "The Clansman" (sic!)
which would seem to be consistent with the spirit of the event.
Historically, "The Birth of a Nation" was a cinematic landmark
while being one of perhaps one of the most racist films ever made.
The Ku Klux Klan is actually portrayed as the heros in the film.
Wikipedia (yadda-yadda) has an entry on the film and here is a
quote about the ideology embodied in the film:

|The film is controversial due to its interpretation of history.
|University of Houston historian Steven Mintz summarizes its message
|as follows: Reconstruction was a disaster, blacks could never be
|integrated into white society as equals, and the violent actions of
|the Ku Klux Klan were justified to reestablish honest government.[15]
|The film suggested that the Ku Klux Klan restored order to the
|post-war South, which was depicted as endangered by abolitionists,
|freedmen, and carpetbagging Republican politicians from the North.
|This reflects the so-called Dunning School of historiography.[16]

Another quote is worth noting, about the significance of the film:

|In 1992 the United States Library of Congress deemed the film
|"culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it
|for preservation in the National Film Registry. Despite its
|controversial story, the film has been praised by film critics such
|as Roger Ebert, who said: "'The Birth of a Nation' is not a bad film
|because it argues for evil. Like Riefenstahl’s Triumph of the Will,
|it is a great film that argues for evil. To understand how it does so
|is to learn a great deal about film, and even something about evil."[21]
|
|According to a 2002 article in the Los Angeles Times, the film
|facilitated the refounding of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s.[22]
|As late as the 1970s, the Ku Klux Klan continued to use the film
|as a recruitment tool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_of_a_nation

Maybe they'll show it next year.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7388