On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 09:29:08 -0800, Scott O Lilienfeld wrote:
>Actually, I was indeed able to identify a follow-up study. See below:
>
> http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nenes.eas.gatech.edu/Webdiary/NYMarch03_files/image030.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nenes.eas.gatech.edu/Webdiary/NYMarch03.htm&usg=__nCpd2o-IxrJD8g1cODByYKj3jpw=&h=318&w=423&sz=33&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=LAgwwHz-1Vm0bM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=163&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfrozen%2Bpeople%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26biw%3D1004%26bih%3D579%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=485&ei=mQYiTZ-rOMOblgfxqc2_Cw&oei=mQYiTZ-rOMOblgfxqc2_Cw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=87&ty=88

For chirssakes, Scott, quite screwing with the tourists!  ;-)

No, the frozen people in the park are not NYU students stuck out in the cold
after
NYU recently implemented its new "green" energy savings program in NYU dorms.
Rather, it is a sculpture by the artist George Segal titled "Gay Liberation"
which is
located in Sheridan Square park which is at the intersection of the east-west
streets
West 4th St and Christopher St and Seventh Avenue.  For some more pictures of
Sheridan Square, which has the Stonewall Inn overlooking it (Yes, *that*
Stonewall
Inn), see:
http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/wv_sheridan_square
A somewhat better picture of the display:
http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/56954567
One side of the park is Christopher St (yes, *that* Christopher Street) and more
info about it can be obtained from the Wikipedia entry (yadda-yadda): see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Street_%28Manhattan%29
Famous residents of Christopher St. include: Theodor Adorno (of "The
Authoritarian
Personality" fame), e.e. cummings (if you have to ask...), Harlan Elison,
Rosemay
Harris, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Sally Kirkland, Amy Sedaris (for Colbert fans),
and Yoko Ono (in her pre-Lennon days).
Wikipedia also has an entry on George Segal and it worth noting the Montclair
State Univesity is using the same "green" energy savings program as NYU in its
dorms; see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Segal_%28artist%29

Finally, for the pictures that Scott linked to:
First photo:  it's not in Greenwich Village but Madison Square Park on 23-26th
St,
between Madision and Fifth Ave (site of the original 19th century Madison Square
Gardens).
Second photo:  looking up Fifth avenue on the west side of Madison Sq Park.
Subsequent photo labelled "Somewhere in the village": near the intersection of
Greenwich Avenue and 10th Street.  In the background is Jefferson Market
Library which has a long history (it startred out as a courthouse); see the
Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Market_Library
The space that looks like a park is a community garder that took the place of
the Women's House of Detention (which plays a significant role in David
Duchovy's movie "House of D").  When I was a teenager, I walked by the
House of D one late Saturday and some woman was yelling "Zelda I LOVE YOU!"
Those were the days.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7629
or send a blank email to
leave-7629-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu