Interesting. I'm not sure I like it (the "black hole"), but it reminds me of
something a former student told me about. He was working at a nursing home and
the dementia patients wore electronic ankle bands. One gentleman's broke and
they had to order a new one for him. Since this patient had a history of
wandering (elopement), the staff members were concerned about the door to the
back lawn that was accessible through a sunroom. In order to prevent the man
from walking into the sunroom and going right out the door, the staff painted
the door to match the wall. The man walked in, looked around, didn't see a
door, and got involved in something else that caught his attention. The thing I
love about it is that this story and the article posted by Beth illustrate
nonconfrontational ways to prevent patients from wandering. I hate the idea of
restraints. On the other hand, since I'm afraid of heights, the black square in
front of the elevator sounds kind of scary. (I don't like elevators either.)

Carol

Carol L. DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology
St. Ambrose University
518 West Locust Street
Davenport, Iowa 52803

Phone: 563-333-6482
e-mail: devoldercar...@sau.edu
web: http://web.sau.edu/psychology/psychfaculty/cdevolder.htm

The contents of this message are confidential and may not be shared with anyone
without permission of the sender.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7659
or send a blank email to
leave-7659-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu