I use a tablet in one classroom where I teach statistics. The other has a
smartboard and I much prefer that! One advantage of either technology is that
you can save classroom images and post them on the class website. I also take
advantage of the drawing capabilities when I am demonstrating SPSS. Those allow
me to be more explicit about how to read output and translate it into APA style
reporting. I do a lot of in-class data collection and having the combined
technology allows me to move the data from an excel worksheet to a "writing"
surface and to SPSS so that I can show them that the three techniques yield the
same answer.

I have the same problem with the screen taking up the middle of the board. The
classroom is to be reconfigured by time we start classes with a smartboard to
one side and the projector removed. My other complaint is the placement of the
tablet (same problem as Ken described). The tablet serves as the monitor so it
is in the monitor's position and not convenient to write on. My other problem
with the tablet is that I am accustomed to gesturing to point out something
important in the calculations and I find myself gesturing at the tablet.
Typically good for a laugh when I catch myself doing that. This gesturing
problem is why I prefer the smartboard approach.

Dennis

Dennis M. Goff
Charles A. Dana Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
Randolph College (Founded as Randolph-Macon Woman's College in 1891)
Lynchburg VA 24503