Though I am a department head currenly, I can only speculate.

I'd never ask to look at a faculty member's online course shell unless there
were some compelling cause.

And even with a compelling cause the union and contract tend to exert a lot of
restrictions on such activity. For example, nothing of an evaluative nature can
take place in a physical or online classroom unless 1) it's the scheduled time
for that evaluation or 2) there's some major complaint about the instructional
quality. Something super serious, not just "this teacher is soooooo unfair..."

Could this have to do with Student Learning Outcomes? At LBCC we are under
quite a bit of duress from administration to place SLOs on our syllabi, even if
we don't agree with the philosophy behind their construction and assessment.
Maybe this instructor has yet to show evidence of placing them in a location at
the sites where students will be made aware of them?

I'll keep thinking about it.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA