POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
COLLEGE OF INTEGRATED SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY

The Department of Psychology is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Professor
to begin August, 2011. We are seeking a faculty member who will regularly
teach Psychology of Learning, various courses in Behavior Analysis (e.g.,
Introduction to Behavior Analysis, Applied Behavior Analysis), Research
Methods, and related courses. Candidates will be expected to contribute to
the Behavior Analysis Concentrations within the psychology major and our
Master's Program in Psychological Science. Faculty are expected to develop
an active program of scholarship that involves students in research.
Supervision of honors and master's thesis projects and independent study are
typical components of a faculty member's assignment. Faculty serve as
academic advisors to Psychology Majors and contribute to service activities
of the department and university. In addition to these fundamentals, we also
value other strengths that candidates might bring. These might include
certification (or eligibility for certification) as a Board Certified
Behavior Analyst (BCBA), potential for contributions to our sociocultural
curriculum or other diversity efforts, interest in working at the Alvin V.
Baird Attention and Learning Disabilities Center, participating in our
interdisciplinary minor in Human Science, or experience teaching psychology
courses not listed above. Demonstrated potential for obtaining external
funding for research is also valued.

The Department of Psychology has excellent facilities for conducting
behavior analysis research using rats and pigeons and we especially
encourage applications from candidates interested in conducting animal
research. We also have excellent facilities for human research and we will
consider candidates whose research is limited to human participants.

The minimum qualifications for this position include: Completed doctoral
degree in psychology; prior college teaching experience; strong interest in
undergraduate instruction and knowledge of best practices in psychology
pedagogy; documented history of scholarship and interest in continuing
research that engages undergraduate students.

The Department of Psychology is among the most popular on campus and serves
approximately 1000 Psychology Majors. We also teach over 5500 students each
year in our General Education courses. The Psychology Department moved into
newly renovated facilities in January 2008 that include research space and
equipment that will support this position. JMU emphasizes instructional
innovation at both the classroom and program levels, data-focused approaches
to instructional improvement (program assessment), and research experiences
for undergraduates. The Department of Psychology faculty are committed
contributors to these efforts. Additional information about psychology at
JMU is available at http://psyc.jmu.edu.

JMU is a comprehensive university, with an enrollment of 17,281
undergraduate and 1,690 graduate students, located in the heart of the
Shenandoah Valley approximately 2 hours from Washington, D.C., Richmond, and
Roanoke. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the
nation and has been cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times, and
Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. For 17 consecutive years
JMU has been ranked as the top public, masterâ?Ts level university in the
South by the annual poll on academic quality conducted by U.S. News and
World Report for its guidebook, Americaâ?Ts Best Colleges. JMU had the
highest graduation rate among both public and private colleges in the South
(80%) and we are one of our nationâ?Ts top colleges in undergraduate
research. For additional public recognitions of our university see
http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/aboutJMU/national_recognitions.shtml. JMU highly
values quality teaching. The university has substantial technological
infrastructure, and JMUâ?Ts Center for Faculty Innovation , and the Center
for Instructional Technology support teaching, instructional technology, and
faculty development. For more information about JMU see http://www.jmu.edu.

To apply go to https://JobLink.jmu.edu and reference the appropriate
position number 0403871. James Madison University is an equal opportunity
employer and the Department of Psychology has a commitment to diversity.
Individuals who are prepared to help our students learn about the role of
culture in the development and expression of individual and social behavior
are strongly encouraged to apply.

Applicant review will begin March 4, 2011 and will continue until suitable
candidates are found. The following materials should be submitted online:
(1) Letter of interest, (2) curriculum vitae, (3), statement of teaching
experience, philosophy, and optionally a summary of teaching evaluations,
(4) description of research program and plans (Other Document #1).
Names and contact information for three references will be completed at the
end of the application process. References will receive an e-mail prompt
that will request that they submit letters of recommendation online and
references will receive an e-mail prompt that will request that they submit
letters of recommendation online.

Questions about the position should be directed to the Search Chair, Dr.
Bryan Saville (savil...@jmu.edu; 540 568-2277). Questions regarding
application procedures should be directed to Cathy Roberson
(rober...@jmu.edu; 540 568-2555).
James Madison University encourages applications from all qualified
individuals. JMU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, political
affiliation or disability (in compliance with the Americans with
Disabilities Act) with respect to employment or admissions, or in connection
with its programs or activities.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=8318
or send a blank email to
leave-8318-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu