From: Stuart McKelvie [mailto:smcke...@ubishops.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:36 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Where do I stand in the course? Was: Please check my paper
BEFORE you grade it

Dear Tipsters,

The thread on pre-grading prompted my new question.

>From time to time, near the end of the semester and before the final exam, a
>student will ask me to tell them where they stand in the course.

My usual response is to tell them that they have all the graded work, so they
can calculate it for themselves. I also tell them that I myself do not really
wish to have my attention drawn to their current standing so that I can be as
objective as possible when grading the final.

Of course, one inevitably knows how some students are doing but even then I try
not to look at the names on the exam as I reach for the next one.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Stuart

                                   "Floreat Labore"

            "Recti cultus pectora roborant"

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,     Phone: 819 822 9600 x 2402
Department of Psychology,         Fax: 819 822 9661
Bishop's University,
2600 rue College,
Sherbrooke,
Québec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

E-mail: stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca (or smcke...@ubishops.ca)

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy

                         Floreat Labore"