I seem to recall that David Epstein, lo, many long years ago,
provided us with an exortation (or possibly just a claim) that taking
zinc tablets warded off (or possibly just shortened the period of) a
cold.

Professional scoffer that I am, I scoffed. Show me the money, I said.
Sure, I said, a cold takes a full week to run its course untreated,
but only seven days with zinc tablets.

But it came to pass that many studies were done, and in the end, as
the New York Times reports today, a Cochrane review finds in favour
of zinc against colds. See http://tinyurl.com/47hkwrd

Well done, David. Yet I seem to also recall  (and here comes the
psychology content) that zinc has a specifically destructive effect
on olfactory receptors. This is so reliable that at one time
(possibly still) it was used as a technique to render experimental
animals anosmic, unable to smell, in behavioural experiments
investigating olfactory function. The New York Times article alludes
to this concern.

True, the anosmic effect requires intranasal application, not pill
swallowing. Still, I'm not sure I'd want to risk becoming less smelly
for life in exchange for a few days less of the sniffles.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University