I think the original purpose of the technique was distraction/disruption of a
behavioral chain. The original name of the technique was "thought stopping". It
was an early cognitive-behavioral method.

Bill Scott

>>> Rick Froman  02/23/11 11:28 AM >>>
<!--/* Font Definitions */@font-face{font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2
4 3 2 4;}/* Style Definitions */p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal,
div.MsoNormal{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}a:link,

span.MsoHyperlink{mso-style-priority:99;color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}a:visited,

span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed{mso-style-priority:99;color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17{mso-style-type:personal-compose;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault{mso-style-type:export-only;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}@page
 WordSection1{size:8.5in 11.0in;margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in
1.0in;}div.WordSection1{page:WordSection1;}-->

I had a question today on using rubber band snapping to deal with a craving in
the context of operant and classical conditioning. This was the method famously
used by Larry Hagman to quit smoking.

It appears to have elements of both classical and operant conditioning but it
got especially tricky when we tried to determine the operant elements. If you
look at the situation of the craving as the discriminative stimulus and the
rubber band popping as the operant response and the pain as the consequence, it
seems that the pain would be most likely to reduce the operant response (the
rubber band popping) and not the craving. I assume, if this works at all, it is
not due to the operant conditioning element (but there must be some consequence
that would increase the operant response of rubber band popping for it to
continue and that consequence must be stronger than the aversive element. It
would be much easier if the rubber band popping just occurred without any
intervention on the part of the person that needs an operant explanation. Any
ideas?

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3055
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479)524-7295
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

"The LORD detests both Type I and Type II errors." Proverbs 17:15

        ---
        You are currently subscribed to tips as: wsc...@wooster.edu.
        To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13058.902daf6855267276c83a639cbb25165c&n=T&l=tips&o=8944
        (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is
broken)
        or send a blank email to
leave-8944-13058.902daf6855267276c83a639cbb251...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=8954