Perhaps there is a point at which the seriousness of the injury might reverse
the pain-reducing effect?  Fortunately, I don't know from such personal
experience. My wife enjoyed watching surgery on her hand, and I enjoyed
watching some minor surgery I underwent. Enjoy= fascinated and curious.
Watching yourself being attended to is also different than the moment of actual
injury tho ;-). Gary

GPeterson
SVSU
Gary's iPad

On Mar 1, 2011, at 3:55 PM, don allen <dap...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Rick-
>
> An interesting study especially since it goes counter to what I experience
> when subjected to painful stimuli. Two years ago I slipped while walking down
> a metal gangplank. In doing so I tore up my elbow. Helpful onlookers wanted
> to help me off with my jacket to see how bad the damage was. I declined
> because I knew that it would hurt a lot more once I saw all of the blood and
> torn flesh. Does anyone else have a similar reaction to serious injury?
>
> -Don.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=9102
or send a blank email to
leave-9102-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu