Stephen Black writes:
>…if two men kiss on the lips, does that make them gay?
>The times they are a-changing, it seems.
>http://tinyurl.com/4z4gfxr

Seems is the operative word here. :-) There are so many things wrong
with that article that I don't know where to begin. Let's start here:

>It began on the professional soccer field, where
>players often share exuberate [sic] kisses after goals.

This is not reported speech, but seems to come from the researcher, one
Eric Anderson of Bath University. Interestingly, the links to
"exuberate" and "kisses" both show a boy-girl kiss. If it's so
prevalent, they might at least have linked to examples. Anderson seems
to have an academic vested interest (see below) in saying this kind of
thing, but it is not an accurate description of what generally happens
when a goal is scored in professional soccer in Britain.  The scorer's
antics and other colleagues' celebrations have become absurd, players
typically jumping on the scorer who goes to ground. Occasionally a
player may rush up to the scorer and kiss the top of his head as he
grabs hold of him, but that is the exception, not the rule. To say
"exuberant kisses" often occur is just plain nonsense.

Then there is the very small sample (145) in the study, one I'd like to
see details of before I took it seriously.

Then there is the scope of the "study":
"It's not yet known how the trend of men kissing extends to
non-University segments of the British population." You bet!

As I said, Anderson has an intellectual vested interest in making a
story out of his "study". A sample of his research:
http://opus.bath.ac.uk/21316/

"In this study, we draw on findings from one year of participant
observation and 12 in-depth interviews with men in a highly-ranked
English university rugby team in order to nuance theoretical
understandings concerning the re-production of homosexually-themed
discourse in organised sport. We use ethnographic data to theorise the
complex relationship between language, homosocial masculine
relationships and organised sport. In examining the political,
intentional and inadvertent effects of these men's discourses, we
define and discuss the notion of gay discourse as a form of
heteronormativity that is dissimilar to the traditional use of
homophobic discourse. Highlighting that homosexually-themed discourse
is best understood as a continuum, we stress the importance of context
in interpreting the meaning and explicating the effects of this kind of
discourse."

Yawn. :-)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department