The Japanese authorities call for retirees to volunteer to go inside the
Nuclear plants to put out the fires sort of reminds me of the infamous
Tuskegee-Guatemala experiments although the similarities could be ideologically
challenged.
The rationale of the Japanese is that the retirees will die anyway  long before
they gat full blown cancer
from the massive exposure to radiation.
Are there ethical concerns here?
As the cross-cultural dude on Tips,it would seem that the kamakaze paradigm of
the Japanese is almost
equivalent to Maslow's need for self-transcendence.
Btw,a few years ago some of my students thought that it was ok to give
experimental drugs to Aids'
clients with the caveat that if the drugs were ineffective nothing would be
lost since the Aids' clients
"would supposedly die anyway."

I guess,if in the U.S, we subject our retirees to such a mission,the U.S would
be accused of elderly abuse.
I may be tempted to volunteer but   someone stole my two six-packs of potassium
iodide.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

kamakaze paradigm