Oh but pictures of brains with colored parts just screams science!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17803985

Seeing is believing: the effect of brain images on judgments of
scientific reasoning
McCabe DP (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22McCabe%20DP%22%5BAuthor%5D ),
Castel AD (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Castel%20AD%22%5BAuthor%5D
).
Abstract
Brain images are believed to have a particularly persuasive influence
on the public perception of research on cognition. Three experiments are
reported showing that presenting brain images with articles summarizing
cognitive neuroscience research resulted in higher ratings of scientific
reasoning for arguments made in those articles, as compared to articles
accompanied by bar graphs, a topographical map of brain activation, or
no image. These data lend support to the notion that part of the
fascination, and the credibility, of brain imaging research lies in the
persuasive power of the actual brain images themselves. We argue that
brain images are influential because they provide a physical basis for
abstract cognitive processes, appealing to people's affinity for
reductionistic explanations of cognitive phenomena.
(on a sad note, Dave McCabe passed away earlier this year- a terrible
loss to the field
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2011/march-11/in-memory-of-david-p-mccabe.html)

Patrick O. Dolan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair of Psychology
Drew University
Madison, NJ 07940
973-408-3558
pdo...@drew.edu
>>> John Kulig <ku...@mail.plymouth.edu> 3/31/2011 9:09 AM >>>

Thanks Stephen, for this, you got to H-post before I did today. There
does seem to be a fascination with these brain findings, and many of
them merely point to a general area of the brain, which may be a first
step but clearly not a complete "explanation." Though I am a sucker for
these too. In my Mind, Brain, Evolution class I mention the role of the
temporal lobes in creating out-of-the-body experiences and other
spiritual phenomenon, but that's not a complete "explanation." And brain
areas NOT lighted up will surely by a part of the explanation.

Speaking about fMRIs, I don't know if I posted this on tips before, but
if not, here is a link to the now-famous story about the brain activity
of a dead salmon:

http://lawandbiosciences.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/what-a-dead-salmon-reminds-us-about-fmri-analysis/

>From this blog: "In short, researchers scanned a dead fish while it was
“shown a series of photographs depicting human individuals in social
situations. The salmon was asked to determine what emotion the
individual in the photo must have been experiencing.”"

I heard George Wolford give a talk to students at last years New
Hampshire Psych Association meetings about this story. The research
study was NOT about the social cognition of dead salmon; if memory
serves they were calibrating/fiddling with the fMRI at Dartmouth and one
of the grad students stuck his soon-to-be dinner in the tube and
detected brain activity to social stimuli. What was going on was the way
the fMRI crunched the data, making the equivalent of thousands of
statistical comparisons. Holy Type I error!!

John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Director, Psychology Honors
Plymouth State University