Looks like they used the old "hands in cold water" technique to inflict pain:

For the study, the researchers recruited 71 young adults and divided them into
two groups -- those who normally utter fewer than ten swear words a day, and
those who utter up to 40 daily.

All of them were asked to dip their hands into ice cold water and hold them
there as long as possible.
They were first asked to do so while repeating a non-swear word, then again
while repeating a swear word of their choosing.
Those who usually swear less often were able to withstand the icy water while
swearing for up to 45 seconds longer than when they did not swear. But the
frequent daily swearers were able to withstand the icy water for just ten
seconds longer compared to when they did not swear.

Dr Richard Stephens, who led the research, said the findings showed that
swearing can release pain-killing endorphins.
"Swearing provokes an emotional response in the face of stress akin to the
'flight and fight' response (how the body reacts to perceived threat or
danger)," he explained.
But the study showed that if people really want to benefit from swearing they
should save it up for when it really matters -- and when they are in genuine
pain.

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: mbritt

On Apr 27, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Annette Taylor wrote:

> Yeah, now you just have to find an IRB willing to allow you to injure
> participants so much they feel a need to swear ;)
>
> Annette
>
> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego