I second Rick Froman's thanks to Kevin Grobman for the information
about Einstein's links to Jean Piaget, of which I was unaware. But Rick
makes a pertinent point when he notes that the exchanges took place
well after Einstein had produced his relativity theories, the first of
which was in 1905:
>it seems to fall a little short of indicating that Einstein's thinking
>about developmental psychology pre-dated and influenced his
>theorizing about relativity. For example, the date of 1928, mentioned
>as the meeting between Einstein and Piaget would have been
>well after Einstein's publication of his theory of relativity. .

Alberto Martinez said in the interview:
"Surprisingly, there’s more evidence that Einstein was influenced by,
of all things, developmental psychology. I’m not saying that this was
the most important factor (optics and electrodynamics were far more
important), just that it was more important than the factors I just
mentioned."

I'm left wondering if this is an off-the-cuff-remark alluding to
Einstein's relating his views on space-time conceptions to Piaget's
work to which Kevin drew attention, or if he is suggesting that there
was an *implicit* psychological aspect to Einstein's way of viewing
space-time that led to his breakthrough in 1905. There is certainly no
indication in the literature of any explicit interest in psychology in
this early period of Einstein's life. I'm waiting for the book to
arrive, so I should soon find out what Martinez means!

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com