Stephen Black writes:
>The long-established and respected journal _Sex Roles_ has
>a problem. It's its name. It seems that "sex" implies biology and
>"gender" implies environment. They like "gender"  (and
>environmental explanations) better. So they have a
>long-standing policy of advising their authors to use "gender"
>in place of "sex". They don't want to change this. […]
http://www.springerlink.com/content/370k176450144264/fulltext.html

According to a link in the editorial in question, the distinction
between sex and gender "began with John Money and his colleagues in the
1950s (Money et al. 1955a, b, 1957); they used the term sex to refer to
individuals’ physical characteristics and the term gender to refer to
individuals’ psychological characteristics and behavior."
http://www.springerlink.com/content/v158775117jl6208

(Money, of course, is now notorious for acting on his belief that
male/female behaviours were *entirely* culturally determined.)

A seminal [sic] article from 1979 is also cited in which the difference
between the terms is spelled out as follows:

"The term 'gender' is introduced for those characteristics and traits
socioculturally considered appropriate to males and females."
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/amp/34/11/1085/

Also referenced is an article from 2007 with the title: "The subtleties
of meaning: Still arguing after all these years."

I find this title surprising, as it seems to me that battle has been
virtually over for some time, and "gender" has won the day. In fact so
much so that it has gone beyond the aims of the original advocates in
that the original distinction (which remains of crucial importance for
extreme cultural determinists, of which there are still some in
academic circles) has been lost in everyday (or at least journalists'!)
vocabulary, where "gender differences" has replaced "sex differences"
regardless of the writer's beliefs about the predominant origins of
such differences. An obvious example is that forms/questionnaires
invariably (in my experience) ask for one's gender when in the past
they would have asked for one's sex, hardly a sociocultural distinction.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com