On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:45:03 -0500, Jim Clark wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for the quotes from Hayes (and for correcting my
>use of "observations").

You're welcome.

>I do wonder, however, about Hayes use of "error".  Is it
>really the case that someone with an IQ of 120 deviates
>from the norm of 100 because of "error" (which I normally
>interpret to mean random influences) rather than the cumulation
>of multiple factors that systematically (causally?) contribute
>to a higher IQ?

I think that Hays is just presenting the traditional line about
measurement of psychological attributes which makes an analogy
to physical measurement.  One classic example of the normal
distribution or distribution of errors is Gauss' analysis of
astronomical data.  The positions of distant heavenly bodies
like stars are stable in location but the same astronomer
looking at the star across many nights will record locations
that differ from night to night. Often the errors are small but
sometimes the errors are large.  What causes these errors?
Some of it may be due to human error, due to atmospheric
conditions (e.g., amount of humidity or water vapor in the
air, amount of particulate and light population in the sky, etc.).
But as long as the conditions are temporary, they can be
treated as random effects.  So, the position of the star is
best modeled by the classical test theory model
Y = True + Error
What you are suggesting is that the measurement of IQ
is better modelled by something like
Y = T + SystemaicFactors + Error
I'll have more to say about this below.

Galton would do similar types of analyses for his "biometric"
measurements, the example of one such analysis in provided
on the Galton Institute's page which can be accessed here:
http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsletters/GINL9912/francis_galton.htm

Today, I have problems presenting IQ or standardized test
results according to the traditional "law of errors/temporary
systematic effects" because such variables do not exist in a
vacuum.  A person's IQ or intelligence score will depend upon
our "measurement model" but it also true that over the course
one's life systematic factors have operated to either suppress
one's intelligence or to facilliate it -- factors such as gender,
race, socioeconomic status, one's level of education, the
education levels of one's parents, and so on will have had
an influence.  A better model for IQ or intelligence score
for any given person may be:

Y = T + GenderEffect + SESEffect + EducSelfEffect + EducPareEffect + ... + Error

Some of these issues are addressed in the Handbook of Psychological
Assessment which available on books.google.com; here a link to one
section on predicting what a person's WAIS-III score would be after
one has taken into account demographic and other variables; see:
http://tinyurl.com/GooglePsychAssess
Quoting from page 123:

|In the WAIS-III - WMS-III Technical Manual, it was emphasized that
|good practice means that all scores should be evaluated in light of
|someone's life history, socioeconomic status, and medical and
|psychosocial history.

>I wonder if Hayes is using "error" as a substitute for something more
>general than just random variation?

My reading of Hays is that he is using the traditional descriptions
of normal curves (systematic factors would be covered in the
sections on ANOVA and regression). YMMV.

> When I get a chance I will modify simulation to incorporate correlation
>between random influences (Hayes error) to see what impact it has on
>the final distribution.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=11091
or send a blank email to
leave-11091-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu