On 9 Jul 2011 at 11:19, Carol DeVolder wrote:

> A student recently e-mailed me and asked a question that I can't
> answer. He wrote that his mother adamantly claims there is a strong
> correlation between infants' crawling and their eventual reading
> ability and he says their isn't. He said he has done some searching of
> the literature and has found nothing and asked if I know of any
> evidence to which he could turn

This sounds suspiciously like a quack theory of child development
popular in the 1970's, sometimes called "patterning" or Doman-
Delecato training. The idea was that children require a certain
amount of crawling in order to develop neurologically, and if they
don't, will be thoroughly screwed up. Or if they are already
impaired, through brain damage, mental retardation, Down syndrome,
dyslexia, etc., they may be helped by attention to a presumed deficit
in crawling (or something like that--we're talking quackery, so it
doesn't have to make sense). The treatment is a  demanding training
programme in which the child is subjected to various exercises
involving crawling.  The treatment, of course, is expensive. It also
required the assistance of a contingent of well-meaning but deluded
neighbours, who volunteered to help carry out its extensive
requirements.

This page ( http://tinyurl.com/3zfqx3g ) provides a proponent's view.
Note the claimed association between lack of crawling and later
reading problems.

Debunking is here:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/patterning.html

As for evidence, don't make me laugh. You might want to take a look
at what the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) had to say about
this "treatment" back in 1999, here: http://tinyurl.com/4yypdjz

I see from its reference list that # 18 is a book by Doman, the
originator of this harmful nonsense, called "How to teach your baby
to read", # 32 is "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Speech and Reading
Problems", by Doman's associate, Delecato, also # 33, "Neurological
Organization and Reading". The AAP also cite some presumably
debunking work by Robbins (#37 and # 38) on the relation between
Doman-Delecato patterning treamtent and reading.

So if would not surprise me if the alleged correlation between
crawling and reading ability originated in their crackpot writings.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University