From: Annette Taylor [mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:10 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE:[tips] conundrum

I think I was thinking conundrum, or puzzle, for me was that here you have an
article laying out clear cut statistics and text to support the notion that the
children of the generation with the highest divorce rates now had one of the
lowest divorce rates in decades

Yet when asked to answer a survey item, despite having the data right there in
front of them,  responded with the opposite opinion.

So I guess I see the implication being that even if the data are right there in
front of their eyes people still keep their prior attitudes and opinions and
respond with their gut feeling.

So, why should our students give up their prior false preconceptions about
everything psychology, that the bring into the classroom?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego