Michael Sylvester writes:
>It is true that some of those local businesses are family owned and
>mostly part of the immigrant community. However those Asian,
>Indian, Middle East and other immigrant business can be very
>racist and exploitative of other people who shop in those businesses.

I live in a part of London (Shepherds Bush) with a rich mix of people
of different family origins, including the West Indies, the Indian
subcontinent, and to a lesser extent from Africa, all living
harmoniously together. Unlike (correct me if I'm wrong) simmering
conflicts such as those that have in the past soured inter-communal
relations in parts of LA when I lived there thirty years ago, there is
absolutely no sense of small family stores exploiting anyone. Please
don't presume to make assumptions about people and situations in regard
to which you are evidently ignorant.

>I am with the two British teens interviewed and Robin Hood.

Interesting that you are in accord with the views of two teens who
think looting shops in their local community is a fun night out, and
one of whom is such an ignoramus that she is uncertain which Party is
governing the country.

>I am disappointed that Allen and Stuart have failed to provide
>a broader analysis of the riots within a socio-psychological
>framework as I try to do.

The absurdity of attempting to provide a potted analysis here of an
immensely complex situation with numerous connected and unconnected
elements, most of which will not be known to most non-residents of
Britain, should be self-evident.

Enough already!

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

[tips] British teens/ethnicity/frustration-aggression
michael sylvester
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:43:09 -0700
I am disappointed that Allen and Stuart have failed to provide a
broader
analysis of the riots within a socio-psychological framework as I try
to do.As
a matter of fact I am illustrating a connection to psychology while
Allen nit
picks on  sound bites.
  It is true that some of those local businesses are family owned and
mostly
part of the immigrant community.However those Asian,Indian,Middle East
and
other immigrant business can be very racist and exploitative of other
people
who shop in those businesses.
Some of those immigrant owners may even look down on the British white
teens.Btw,this attitude of immigrant owners can be generalized.It
happens here
in the U.S in the black community where
Koreans and other groups own businesses.The owners only hire their
family
members,rip off the patrons with exaggerated prices,drive nice cars,and
ive in
plush houses.
I am with the two British teens interviewed and Robin Hood.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=11889
or send a blank email to