If there was a test item as follows:
Which of the following groups are most likely to be prejudiced
and discriminating against black Americans
       a)Asians b) Middle-Easterners c) Latin-Americans d) white Americans.I
would  choose all except white Americans.
>From my experience and also being the only cross-cultural dude on Tips,white
>Americans are more likey to tolerate ,interact,and view minorities as an
>important fabric of American society and to realize that we are a nation of
>"laws" and not of men.Some immigrants have never been in close proximity to
>blacks and they carry a baggage of negative stereotypes about blacks. I have
>gone to Korean stores where I have been followed along the
>aisles.Interestingly enough,the countries of the Americas ,such as
>Colombia,Cuba,Venezuela,Dominican Republic,Panama,Costa Rica
Brazil have immigrants in the U.S who turn out to be very prejudiced
towards ,despite the fact that those countries have very much been influenced
by African culture.Cuba is probably one of the most  racist  country in the
Americas and then Brazil.The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela under Hugo
Chavez( the only Latin leader who sings the praises of his African and
indigenous  heritage) has made an effort  to incorporate Afro-Venezuelans in
his government.Chavez feels very much connected with African-Americans.However
this attitude has not filtered down to Venezuelan immigrants in the U.S.
Interesting enough the Latin American countries dominated by the left,such as
the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela,Ecuador,Peru and Bolivia seem to be more
progressive in recognizing black contributions.
Peru is the only country in the Americas that has apologized for slavery(
btw,the patron saint  of Peru is St.Martin de Porres who was an African slave
in Lima),hip hop is big among the teens of Bolivia and Evo Moralesm is seen as
the only best hope for the Afro-Bolivians who ive in the Yungas de La Paz.
Ecuador's National Soccer team is virtually all black.
          The issue for the Latin American immigrants is that they may perceive
American blacks in the same manner as blacks in their respective countries
where the blacks are more likely to be poor and
of a lower socio-economic class.Latin Americans immigrants  should realize that
the African-American is entirely different from the blacks in their  respective
countries.There is a saying in the Americas that goes like this
 El negro por cochina
Morena por amor
Blanco por matrimonio

There are other conflicts that exist among African-Americans,Haitians, and
Caribbean blacks.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=11904