Stated much more articulately than I am currently able to state it.  Thanks.

Nancy Melucci
LBCC

-----Original Message-----
From: Pollak, Edward (Retired) <epol...@wcupa.edu>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 5:43 am
Subject: RE:[tips] Paul Lutus - Psychology is not a science

In many ways we have laid ourselves wide open for these charges. 1) APA & the
mass media do little to disabuse the masses of the notion that psychology is
not primarily a clinical discipline and more importantly 2) we have never tried
to disabuse the masses of a basic belief in dualism. Such a belief allows
critics to make the obvious criticism that "mental illness is a myth." OF
COURSE it's a myth! It can only be true if there is a mind separate from
body/brain.  For many years I've refused to use the terms, "mental illness"
preferring the terms "behavior" or "cognitive disorders". Many texts also do
that in chapter titles but in the body of their texts, they revert to a naive
dualism. Similarly, too many of my colleagues (especially, but not exclusively,
clinical colleagues) insist on talking about mental illness, mind-body healing,
etc. They tell their classes (including graduate level classes) things such as
e.g., "psychotherapy works best where there is no underlying neurochemical
basis."  When called on such silliness they hem & haw and say, "well, of course
you're technically correct but this is really an applied/clinical course I
don't want to confuse them."

Until we develop a new language that forever banishes the concept of "mind"
without simultaneously banishing the very real internal experiences that the
literary metaphor "mind" seeks to explain (as the radical behaviorists did) ,
psychology will not mature as a science.  In fact, we should dispense with the
name "psychology" altogether since it implies a study of mind or soul (as
distinct from body/brain). Frankly, I think that a name such as "behavioral
science," or even "behavioral neuroscience" would better serve our discipline
and its future. But if you insist on referring to psychology as the mind or
mental processes, don't be so shocked when you get reminded that the "mind and
mental processes" are nothing more than convenient literary metaphors or
outright myths.

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Professor emeritus
Department of Psychology

West Chester University of Pennsylvania

http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/jam.htm
Husband, father, grandfather, bluegrass fiddler &
biopsychologist............... in approximate order of importance

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: drna...@aol.com.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=12993.aba36cc3760e0b1c6a655f019a68b878&n=T&l=tips&o=12528