The URL for "Listening to Meta-Analysis but Hearing Bias" didn't come
up as a link in my last post, but can be accessed by copy-and-paste
into Google. (TInyURL doesn't work, probably because the URL doesn't
start with http or www.)

file:///C:/Users/dell/Documents/C%20Files/MISC%20PSYCHIATRY/Drugs%20and%2
0psychiatry/KleinListening%20to%20Meta-Analysis%20But%20Hearing%20Bias.ht

Abstract

Kirsch and Sapirstein (1998) present a meta-analysis of 19 studies,
attempting to define the relationship of placebo to antidepressant drug
effect. They conclude that the substantial majority of drug effect is
due to placebo effect and the rest is either measurement error or
active placebo effect. The article is criticized because it derives
 from a miniscule group of unrepresentative, inconsistently and
erroneously selected articles arbitrarily analyzed by an obscure,
misleading effect size. Further, numerous problems with the
meta-analytic approach, in general, and Kirsch and Sapirstein's use of
it, in particular, go undiscussed. The attempt to further segment the
placebo response, by reference to psychotherapy trials incorporating
waiting lists, is confounded by disparate samples, despite Kirsch and
Sapirstein's claim of similarity. The failure of peer review and the
opportunity provided by an electronic journal for rapid discussion is
emphasized.

[…]

A major problem with meta-analysis is that the appearance of
statistical rigor can lull the usual reader, who cannot be expected to
retrieve and analyze the original sources and is not statistically
expert, into an uncritical, complacent mode (especially if the
conclusions are congenial). This suspension of disbelief is encouraged
by the conviction that peer review has carefully vetted both the source
and meta-analytic articles for misstatements, distortions, poor
inferences, and statistical malfeasances. Kirsch and Sapirstein (1998)
provide a trenchant example of a tendentious article whose departures
 from any critical standard has not precluded publication and has been
foisted on an unsuspecting audience as a "peer reviewed" contribution
to the literature. For instance, it seems evident that these peer
reviewers did not retrieve and critically review these articles. As for
some of the source articles, the adequacy of peer review is clearly
questionable.

N.B. A useful discussion of the issues involved appeared in "Scientific
Review of Mental Health Practice" in 2003:

http://www.srmhp.org/0201/media-watch.html

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org
Re:[tips] Clinical training: Boulder and Denver
Allen Esterson
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 01:50:09 -0700

Paul Brandon writes:
>I seem to recall a publication about 20 years
>ago to this effect; something like 'Listening
>to Prozac but hearing placebo'.

To which there was a critical response "Listening to Meta-Analysis but
Hearing Bias" that is worth a close reading:

file:///C:/Users/dell/Documents/C%20Files/MISC%20PSYCHIATRY/Drugs%20and%2

0psychiatry/KleinListening%20to%20Meta-Analysis%20But%20Hearing%20Bias.ht

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com