Hi Mike W. - Not dismissing the defects (not sure where you got this
impression)- again, as I said there are plenty of important questions to be
raised here and I'm hardly an apologist for the current state of research on
psychotherapy outcome.  I was merely pointing out that what you wrote in your
email, namely, that all of the dependent measures in psychotherapy outcome
research come from either the client or the investigator, is factually
incorrect.  Do you still stand by your original assertion?

     I agree fully with Mike W. that it's technically impossible to ever
conduct a genuine double-blind study of psychotherapy; I don't know any
(reasonable) person in the field who would take issue with that assertion.  I
do not agree that this renders all psychotherapy outcome studies categorically
"invalid," as you have stated in your messages, any more than it means that we
should dismiss all twin studies because the equal environments assumption
hasn't been tested for all phenotypes or that we should dismiss all studies on
the construct validation of clinical assessment measures because we cannot rule
out with 100% confidence the possibility of response biases.   What is does
mean, and I think we agree here, is that we need to bear this internal validity
threat in mind when evaluating the results of psychotherapy outcome studies.

     All the best...Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology, Room 473
Emory University