Jim et al. - Re: Jim Clark's question # 4 below, there is a modest literature
comparing "antidepressants" (I place the word in quotations, as there is now
increasing consensus that these are not medications for depression per se) with
"active placebos," which create many/most of the same side effects (e.g., dry
mouth) as traditional antidepressants.  My understanding is that atropine is
the most frequently used active placebo in this literature.

    See below for a link to a 2009 Cochrane Collaboration review compariing
antidepressants, in this case the older tricyclics, with active placebos. This
certainly will not be the final word on the issue, as the question remains
highly contentious.

http://psychrights.org/research/Digest/CriticalThinkRxCites/Moncrief2004.pdf

    For TIPSters who can't readily access the PDF, here are the bottom line
results and conclusions from the review:

Main results
Nine studies involving 751 participants were included. Two of them produced
effect sizes which showed a consistent and statistically significant difference
in favour of the active drug. Combining all studies produced a pooled estimate
of effect of 0.39 standard deviations (confidence interval, 0.24 to 0.54) in
favour of the antidepressant measured by improvement in mood. There was high
heterogeneity due to one strongly positive trial. Sensitivity analysis omitting
this trial reduced the pooled effect to 0.17 (0.00 to 0.34). The pooled effect
for inpatient and outpatient trials was highly sensitive to decisions about
which combination of data was included but inpatient trials produced the lowest
effects.

Authors' conclusions
The more conservative estimates from the present analysis found that
differences between antidepressants and active placebos were small. This
suggests that unblinding effects may inflate the efficacy of antidepressants in
trials using inert placebos. Further research into unblinding is warranted.

...Scott