Hi

And then again ... it is not at all obvious that some sub-atomic particle
traveling 90 km a few nanoseconds faster than expected would help at all in
"seeing into the future" seconds and minutes ahead, or hours, days, and years
in lay cases.  Of course, that won't stop some people from seriously (unlike
Mike P.) seeing confirmation of their weird beliefs about paranormal phenomena
in these findings.

Moreover, it is unlikely that even such a radical finding, if confirmed, would
"overthrow" Einstein, anymore than Einstein overthrew Newton, whose principles
were correct within the context he was working.  It would just mean that we
have managed to find an even more extreme context at which Einstein's
principles need adjusting.  I'm speaking as a non-physicist, of course!

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu> 23-Sep-11 9:09 AM >>>
An interesting article in today's NY Times on a startling finding by
physicists at CERN.  One theorist at CERN is quoted as saying:
"If it is true, then we truly haven't understood anything about anything."
See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/science/23speed.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha3

As noted in the article, it might be premature to throw Einstein under the bus.

Then again.....

You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=12907