I have to say that I was disappointed by Sternberg's piece, although in all
fairness I will need to see his upcoming edited handbook.   Perhaps the
evidence therein is more compelling.  Unless I'm missing something, however, he
reports here only one direct piece of evidence for the matching/meshing
hypothesis of learning styles (namely, that hypothesis that people learn best
when their learning styles are matched to specific teaching styles):

Here is what he writes: "The first finding was that institutions differ widely
in the styles of thinking that they reward. For example, in the study, one
tended to reward a conservative style (characterizing people who like things to
remain more or less the way they are) and tended to penalize a liberal style
(characterizing people who like things to change), whereas another rewarded
exactly the opposite pattern. The correlations of styles with academic success
were statistically significant in both schools, but in opposite directions."

This finding is intriguing and perhaps suggestive, but it doesn't strike me as
providing an especially strong test of the matching styles hypothesis.   As I
understand it, tests of the matching styles hypothesis require an experimental
design in which individuals with certain learning styles (e.g. primarily visual
versus primarily verbal, as noted by Jim Clark) are randomly assigned to
teachers with different teaching styles (e.g., emphasizing visual concepts
versus verbal concepts), and their learning outcomes are measured using the
same indicators.  A significant statistical interaction, especially a
disordinal (cross-over) interaction, would provide evidence for the matching
styles hypothesis.  But in the study described by Sternberg, the level of
analysis is the institution, not the teacher (I believe logicians refer to this
to infer of inferring the latter from the former as the ecological fallacy),
and consequently the results seem open to a host of alternative explanations:
surely, the two institutions differ from each other in myriad ways in addition
to the learning styles they emphasize.  Moreover, it seems implausible that the
two institutions used the identical outcome measures to assess learning (unless
the outcome measures in question were standardized tests).

Sternberg has elsewhere harshly criticized the recent Paschler et al. review in
Psychological Science in the Public Interest for its overly strict and
exclusive criteria for evaluating the learning styles hypothesis.   Perhaps
there is some merit in this criticism; I do not know.  But this does mean that
we should loosen the standards for methodological rigor to the point at which
we claim as evidence for the matching styles hypothesis quasi-experimental
findings that are open to a host of rival explanations.  It's one thing,
perhaps, to say "Well, it's too early to shut the door completely on the
matching hypothesis" (and given the well-known statistical difficulties of
detecting interactions, I wouldn't necessary disagree), but it's quite another
to say that the hypothesis has been well-confirmed.

...Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology, Room 473
Emory University