Hi

If Beth was embarassed by this association, I wonder what she would say about
the Anderson Cooper interview of Pearl (advocate of extreme forms of corporal
punishment) the other night?  Psychology got lots of (unfortunate) air time via
Pearl ... he was drawing a relationship between his practices and animal
learning as studied by psychologists (or something like that).  Here's one link
to a description of the interview.

http://piedtype.com/2011/10/26/theres-child-abuse-and-then-theres-child-abuse/

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> 27-Oct-11 4:31:08 PM >>>
A female  ex-Ohio teacher was convicted of having sex with five high school
students.  Her "defense psychologist" argued that "Schuler's medical and
physical ailments combined with her vegan diet and use of alcohol and an
antidepressant were a 'perfect storm' that impaired her ability to tell
right from wrong."
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45066380/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TqnGs5uXuso

       I'm adding this to my Social Psychology course's list of  "insanity
arguments in the U.S.  that didn't work."   I always point out, as I'm sure
most of you do, that these arguments seldom work here, in large part because
of our cultural feelings about autonomy, and thus, responsibility for our
own actions.  And I might add that while my arguments so often refer to the
"U.S. of A.," I suspect they'd also work for Canada.  Right, Stephen,
Stewart and our other compadres to the North?
      On another note, I wonder if this argument will compel vegans to
assert that their diet is no more likely than any other to contribute to a
"perfect storm."  I'd expect so.  I'm a little embarrassed that psychology
is combined with this kind of news.
Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University