From: Annette Taylor [tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:08 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Those MLB Necklaces and NFL Armbands

Geez Louise.

So, I've been watching the baseball world series and wondering about those
necklaces the players are wearing so I looked it up online. I mean, Thank GOD
that Al Gore invented the internet or I'd just go on being dumb...but maybe not
as dumb as those athletically talented players in the world series.

So apparently the bands have liquid titanium poured into them during
manufacture and this assures optimal performance by enhancing electron flow
through the player's body, reducing muscle stress, and maximizing performance.
Some players have more than one and YOU TOO can buy one on the official MLB
website for only $50 plus shipping and handling.

You can read about it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/22/sports/baseball/22shea.html and here:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/11/01/athletic-rope-necklaces-medicine-fashion-statement-1450413663/

And I guess I'm a bit behind the times because the first article is from 2005!
Where have I been all this time?

So, I'm reading this to my husband who reminds me that I had asked him about
those arm bands that NFL players wear...well, guess what? Now at least the NFL
players are not quite as gullible...but, not much better.

You can read about it here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=719552

haha, they're for decoration. If you wear white, it makes your arms look bigger
and it makes you look faster because the flashing white catches your eye.
Depending on where on your arm you put them, they'll "add size" to your arms
(optical illusion). that's about it. Black arm bands don't really add or take
away from your "size" or "speed" but they're a good decoration. Just another
way for Under Armour to make a buck.

and here:
http://www.kentucky.com/2008/09/24/534460/armbands-are-decorations-for-football.html

And again, that last one is from 2008, so where have I been hiding my head all
this time?

Sigh. I'm sure there's a critical thinking teaching moment here some place.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
tay...@sandiego.edu<mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu>

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu<mailto:tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13545.bae00fb8b4115786ba5dbbb67b9b177a&n=T&l=tips&o=13714

leave-13714-13545.bae00fb8b4115786ba5dbbb67b9b1...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-13714-13545.bae00fb8b4115786ba5dbbb67b9b1...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>