Apparently there are replication issues in biology as well as psychology. The
Wall Street Journal has an article today about pharmaceutical companies
attempting to develop drugs based on published findings only to find that they
cannot replicate the findings.

>From the article:

Drug manufacturers rely heavily on early-stage academic research and can waste
millions of dollars on products if the original results are later shown to be
unreliable. Patients may enroll in clinical trials based on conflicting data,
and sometimes see no benefits or suffer harmful side effects.

There is also a more insidious and pervasive problem: a preference for positive
results.

Unlike pharmaceutical companies, academic researchers rarely conduct
experiments in a "blinded" manner. This makes it easier to cherry-pick
statistical findings that support a positive result. In the quest for jobs and
funding, especially in an era of economic malaise, the growing army of
scientists need more successful experiments to their name, not failed ones. An
explosion of scientific and academic journals has added to the pressure.

The entire article can be found here (subscription may be required)
http://tinyurl.com/7ytjq7n

I apologize if this has come through before. I tried sending it through the WSJ
website thinking that doing so would allow nonsubscribers to read the entire
article and have not seen it come through.

Joe

Joseph J. Horton, Ph. D.
Box 3077
Grove City College
Grove City, PA 16127
724-458-2004
jjhor...@gcc.edu<mailto:jjhor...@gcc.edu>

In God we trust, all others must bring data.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=14571
or send a blank email to
leave-14571-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu