Hi

There is quite a bit written of course about atheists in the context of the
science versus religion debates, in particular about the relatively secular
nature of many scientists and how they might have gotten that way.  Another
possible consideration is how can one study the unique characteristics of
religious people without contrasting them to non- or at least less- religious
people, atheists in the extreme?  So much of the psychological study of
religiousness would be informative about non-religious people.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 12:27:40 -0800, Michael Sylvester wrote:
|a Psychology of Atheism or would that issue be subsumed under the
Psychology of

To Which John Kulig wrote on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:02:29 -0800:
>I attended Div 36 (spirituality and religion) confefrence once and athiesm did
>not surface as a topic ....

A few points:

(1)  I'd wager that people interested in a psychology of atheism would
 be interested
in it because they are interested in discrediting atheism as a system
of belief.  As
it turns out, this is only half right.

(2)  Paul Vitz of NYU somewhere along the line became a "born again Catholic"
and instead of focusing on experimental psychology began to focus on
the psychology
of religion.  He has written on this topic and one of his books is
"Faith of the Fartherless:
The Psychology of Atheism" which is available on Amazon; see:
http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Fatherless-Psychology-Paul-Vitz/dp/1890626252
I'll leave it to the interested reader to determine the intellectual
quality of Vitz's
work and the extent of influence of Vitz's work on the scientific psychological
community.

(3)  Bob Altemeyer, who developed the Right Wing Authoritarianism (RWA) scale
and did several decades of survey research on authoritarianism and its
relationships
to other variables, has also had an interest in the psychology of
religion.  He and
Bruce Hunsberger wrote a book about atheism which is available on Amazon and
one examine it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Atheists-Groundbreaking-Study-Americas-Nonbelievers/dp/1591024137/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I have more confidence in scientific research of Altemeyer but that
might be because
I'm familiar with his other work.

(4)  Given that atheists are relatively few in the U.S. right now, one
might have to
put in a lot of effort to do valid psychological research on them.
This might be a topic
of interest to some but one hopes that it is a scientific interest and not an
ideological/political one.  I'm sure there are more rich conservatives
who would provide
money for research showing that atheism is psychologically bad
("evil") than there
are rich liberals who would provide money for research on the benefits
of atheism.
But this follows from my understanding of Altemeyer's research on
authoritarianism.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=14607