From: Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Fri, Jan 6, 2012 11:50 am
Subject: [tips] Why does published research have to be so cryptic

I just finished reading another research article for possible use in an
upcoming
odcast and while I think the study itself was well done, I am once again left
ondering why it all has to be so boring.  I mean, we tell students (at least I
id) that we do research because we're curious about human behavior.  We usually
o research because we've observed something about ourselves and we want to
nderstand it better.
After this initial curiosity we usually talk about our research idea with
riends and colleagues over lunch.  We even get excited about it.  Now, of
ourse, the research process itself is a serious matter and I am not saying that
e need to dumb down the process (blah, blah, blah).  I'm just saying that what
omes out the other end - the published article - is typically so mindnumbingly
oring to read.  And it's not just that.  The other thing that discourages me is
hat all the curiosity, all the excitement the researchers probably had at the
tart of the process is nowhere to be found in the publication.   In fact, I'm
ot even clear as to what the researchers saw as important (even potentially
nteresting) about this research I just read.  Isn't there a way to capture ANY
f the initial excitement?  Can't we have a section in which researchers are
llowed to tell us what the applications of the research are to "real life"?  I
now they sometimes do this in the Discussion, but you'd often be hard pressed
o find it.  We criticize lawyers for their cryptic legal documents - what about
s?
No wonder students hate research methods.  We've sucked the "wonder" out of it.
Michael

ichael A. Britt, Ph.D.
ich...@thepsychfiles.com
ttp://www.ThePsychFiles.com